Saturday, January 18, 2003

Yeah, I took a trip with Darryl and Wolf tonight to Carrboro for a metal show. Our Raleigh friends Hank and Dwight were there, along with the largest collection of mongoloid jocks I'd ever seen at a metal show in my life. Some really random crappy band opened, and they were terrible. But Between the Buried and Me played, and though their name was ridiculous, as were the boy-bandish melodic portions of their songs, they were fairly decent.
So, then Mastodon came out, and their sound was mighty, their presence...terrifying. I now know why they chose the name Mastodon, because the were like, "Hmm, I got it, we're gonna be earth shaking and terrifying and try to sort of hint at this jokingly by naming ourselves after a subpar extinct elephant. But then people will realize that we're so brutal, we should have called ourselves Sabretooth Tiger. And then they'll laugh, because they'll realize that no matter what name we called ourselves, it would have been ridiculous. Let's just take the name and get to work being musically brutal and heartstopping."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home