Alright...so begins my official Summer Movie Reviews...
I'll start with the one I just saw and maybe work backward. Maybe.
You guys understand that first off, I love movies period, but am especially susceptible to loving Summer Movies for pure entertainment value.
As it may be, I saw "The Day After Tomorrow", tonight, and I must say, on more than one level, i enjoyed it immensely.
Okay, first off, it had enough nerdy weather theory to perk the ears of anyone who took Climatology with me in the Geography program. Things like supercooling, temperature inversions, and glacial melt are awesome subjects of fascination for the weather nerd.
Secondly, this movie had, as its central plot, a well-timed father-son theme...placed right before Father's Day, right?
Yeah...campy, but I was a sucker. I started thinking how I wanted to go back a second time to see it with my dear old dad.
And what better actor to play that dad than Dennis Quaid? He is, in fact, almost typecast as the Golden Age America Dad...the guy who always has time to play catch with his son, who loves his wife faithfully, keeps the family strong, and of course, when a random ice age comes along, faces tremendous trials to search for his beloved son.
Then of course, the rest of the colorful cast of characters create a microcosm of the world, or at least, the American world, as most of the movie is centered around the fact that Americans are not at all prepared for living without things like electricity, running water, and general warmth. But yeah, there's the homeless guy, who I guess is the comic relief, and he knows all the tricks to stayin' warm. Yee hah. Then there's the whole presidential cadre, because, just like in Independence Day, you can't have a colorful cast of characters without the President, who will, timedly, deliver a powerful and moving speech to his fellow Americans.
And I'm forgetting the love story, and the crazy Brits, and the aliens.
Ah, wait. Forget that last part. That was the one plot element that didn't make this Independence Day.
Anyway...getting back to the serious side...just with that whole father-son thing, and then showing the power and delicate majesty of the created earth and its ability to surprise us, I just started thinkin' how good this movie made me feel that I've got a loving Father and Lord who is watching over me, whether tidal waves, tornadoes, or arctic superstorms come, He'll always seek me through the mess and the craziness.
So bottom line, this movie appeals to climate nerds, people who have parents, people who feel like the movie "Alive!" wasn't hardcore enough, and most importantly, Dennis Quaid fans.
I mean that's why I went.
Has anyone seen "The Long Riders"?
I'll start with the one I just saw and maybe work backward. Maybe.
You guys understand that first off, I love movies period, but am especially susceptible to loving Summer Movies for pure entertainment value.
As it may be, I saw "The Day After Tomorrow", tonight, and I must say, on more than one level, i enjoyed it immensely.
Okay, first off, it had enough nerdy weather theory to perk the ears of anyone who took Climatology with me in the Geography program. Things like supercooling, temperature inversions, and glacial melt are awesome subjects of fascination for the weather nerd.
Secondly, this movie had, as its central plot, a well-timed father-son theme...placed right before Father's Day, right?
Yeah...campy, but I was a sucker. I started thinking how I wanted to go back a second time to see it with my dear old dad.
And what better actor to play that dad than Dennis Quaid? He is, in fact, almost typecast as the Golden Age America Dad...the guy who always has time to play catch with his son, who loves his wife faithfully, keeps the family strong, and of course, when a random ice age comes along, faces tremendous trials to search for his beloved son.
Then of course, the rest of the colorful cast of characters create a microcosm of the world, or at least, the American world, as most of the movie is centered around the fact that Americans are not at all prepared for living without things like electricity, running water, and general warmth. But yeah, there's the homeless guy, who I guess is the comic relief, and he knows all the tricks to stayin' warm. Yee hah. Then there's the whole presidential cadre, because, just like in Independence Day, you can't have a colorful cast of characters without the President, who will, timedly, deliver a powerful and moving speech to his fellow Americans.
And I'm forgetting the love story, and the crazy Brits, and the aliens.
Ah, wait. Forget that last part. That was the one plot element that didn't make this Independence Day.
Anyway...getting back to the serious side...just with that whole father-son thing, and then showing the power and delicate majesty of the created earth and its ability to surprise us, I just started thinkin' how good this movie made me feel that I've got a loving Father and Lord who is watching over me, whether tidal waves, tornadoes, or arctic superstorms come, He'll always seek me through the mess and the craziness.
So bottom line, this movie appeals to climate nerds, people who have parents, people who feel like the movie "Alive!" wasn't hardcore enough, and most importantly, Dennis Quaid fans.
I mean that's why I went.
Has anyone seen "The Long Riders"?

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home